Hi folks! The Tako family is busy traveling today — which means my regular posting schedule is being interrupted by the fact I’m sitting on a jet-plane flying over the Pacific Ocean.
Since we’re headed to Japan (the land of incredible food), I thought it would be fitting to keep you occupied with a collection of my favorite frugal-food recipes!
Beside being a FIRE blogger, I happen to do a lot of cooking. It comes with the Stay-At-Home-Dad territory I guess.
So, without further adue, I give you…
Mr. Tako’s Best Recipes (2017 edition)
1. Bacon-Shrimp-Avocado Tacos – At the top spot here we have my Bacon-Shrimp-Avocado tacos. This was by far my most popular food post, and most requested recipe. It’s easily to understand why — this is the best taco recipe I’ve ever invented. Learn all my secrets to good taco making here!
2. Homemade Roasted Salsa – What could go better with one of my taco recipes than homemade salsa? Yes, I really do make all of my own salsa!
3. Instant Miso Soup – Need a hearty instant lunch, but don’t want to pay retail prices for instant miso soup? Just make it yourself!
4. Japanese Nametake – A quick and easy mushroom topping for rice or tofu. Simple, flavorful, frugal, and easy!
5. Easy Shrimp Phad Thai – Yes, you really can made Phad Thai at home that’s just as good (or better) than a restaurant! It’s easy to make too!
6. Brown Rice & Garbanzo Bean Salad — Sometimes you don’t need to make a whole meal, just a side dish! When a super-cheap veggie (yet tasty) side dish is all you need, this recipe provides!
7. Thai Curry Pumpkin Soup – Got some “extra” pumpkins on your hands? Maybe your spendy neighbors decided to “donate” one to the cause! Try making this spicy pumpkin soup!
8. Chicken And Shrimp Pho – There’s nothing quite like a nice warm bowl of Pho on a cold fall day. Make this delicious Pho soup recipe and warm yourself up!
9. Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken Tacos – There’s more than one way to cook a taco, and easy way to make shredded chicken tacos in the slow cooker!
10. Spicy Tuna Temaki Sushi – Who would guess that making sushi this good was so easy? You can have Spicy Tuna sushi for a mere fraction of the cost you’d pay in a restaurant!
Hmm… that last one has me hungry for sushi! Good thing I’m headed in the right direction!
For all the skeptics — Yes, we really do make all these recipes at home on a regular basis! They’re part of the reason why we’re able to keep our monthly food expenses so low for our family of 4.
That’s it for today! I hope you enjoyed this culinary look back at some of my favorite recipes. With luck, I’ll be getting off this plane in a few hours, and will begin learning some delicious Japanese culinary tricks to share with you!
Until next time!
P.S. Yes — that is my homemade thin-crust pizza at the top of the post. It’s super easy to make! If there’s enough interest in the comments, I’ll be happy to share the recipe.