Ho Ho Ho! Merry Octopusmas!
It’s that holiday time of year again, and the Tako family is on-the-move! We’re traveling to visit family this Octopusmas! Furthermore, this will be my very last post of 2017!
Don’t worry, I’ll be back on my usual posting schedule in the new year!
Rather than skimping on the content for today’s post, I decided to give you an early Christmas gift!
If you recall, when we traveled to Japan earlier this year, I wrote a compilation post for all my best recipes. That was a very successful post, and people seem to appreciate having them in one place…
So, I decided to do the exact same thing for my best investing posts of 2017!
Without further adieu, I give you…
Mr. Tako’s Best Investing Posts Of 2017
1. Farmers, Hunters, And Investing For Financial Independence — In the top spot for my personal favorite investing article of the year, is the story of farmers & hunters. This post was a great reminder for me that the investing “weather” will eventually change. Be ready.
2. The Keys To Wealth: 4 Investing Books That Changed My Life –– As the title implies, this post details the four investing books that really changed my life and set me on the path to achieve Financial Independence. Honestly, I owe it all to these four books.
3. The Future Isn’t What You Think It Is — Everybody thinks they can predict the future, but let’s be honest here… nobody can! This lack of predictability makes finding durable long term investments especially tricky.
4. Is Book Value Investing Still Relevant? — In days long past, investors used to look at Book Value to determine if an investment was of a good value and had reasonable margin of safety. Does this method still work today, or is this a category of investment inherently filled with troubled companies?
5. Learning From Panics And Manias — Panics and Manias have been with us since the beginning of financial markets, but do investors ever learn from them? Not if we don’t study the phenomena! There’s a great many lessons to be learned from history’s greatest panics and manias.
6. When Dividend Growers Fail To Grow — Everybody loves a company that can constantly grow dividends! But what happens when something happens to that ever growing stream of income? Do you ditch the investment, or dig deeper?
7. Is Retail Dead? — Despite a good economy there’s a huge number of retail store closures happening in the United States right now. In this post we as the question “Is Retail Dead”? It might be, but there’s a chance there will be survivors!
8. Profitability Doesn’t Matter? — It’s often the least profitable stocks that outperform all others because of growth. In this post we studied some of those profitless wonders from days long passed — to find out if we’re missing the boat.
9. Looking For Incentives — In this post I tackle the incentives that drive executive behavior. Namely, where to find them and how to evaluate them. It’s easier than you might think, but they rarely get noticed by most investors.
10. How Much Global Diversification Do You Really Need? — Diversification is often touted as a cure-all for the market’s volatility. Under those auspices many sub-par investments are sold by Wall Street. But how much global diversification do we really need anyway?
What? Did you think I was going to stop at 10? I made no such promise!
Believe it or not, I really love writing investing posts — and it’s super hard to narrow down a year’s worth of writing to just a few articles!
So here’s two more investing posts that I think deserve everyone’s time!
11. Reader Questions: Precious Metals — Thinking about buying some precious metals or maybe even some bitcoin? Then you absolutely need to read this post.
12. The Dark Side Of Share Buybacks — Last but not least is my post about share buybacks. Buybacks are popular right now, but are they actually good for investors? Well, it really depends…
That’s it for this year! I’ll see you in 2018! Happy Holiday’s!
[Image Credits: Octopus cookie, Others –See respective articles]